Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cheese Sandwiches and Parsnips.

I went to get a salad today at this place nearby and I sat down to eat at a table rather than go back to the office like I've been.
I sat next to this woman - she looked like she was about 30, but in white people years, if you look 30, chances are you're much younger than that.
Her friend met her and when they both started eating, I overheard their whole stupid conversation.
First, the really tan one with the sweater tied around her neck by the sleeves and loafers w/gold buckles told the blonde one in the silver flip flops that her hair looked really good.
I don't know what it looked like before, but it wasn't anything special to me.
They talked about some party the blonde girl was going to tomorrow and how she thinks she's bringing a present and blah blah blah.
Then they started talking about a guy the blonde girl had in mind for a friend.
His name is Tim Sullivan. He's from Long Island, 28 and really cute. "He's got a beard, but he's cute."

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like if I had turned out differently.
Or if I was someone else.
What if I was a stereotype?
What if I am a stereotype?
Sometimes I find comfort in the fact that people have a hard time guessing my age as well as my ethnic background.
I never want to be just some white girl.

No comments: